Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Vincy Independance!!




Tomorrow is the 31st anniversary of Vincentian Independence. I, personally, am going to be spending it Mustique, one of the Grenadine islands. Others will be attending the national parade held every year in Kingstown.

Because there isn't any school tomorrow, schools across the country held their Independence day celebrations today, and I figured I'd share a few videos with you all!

The choir performed and I wish that the video conveyed how amazing they really were. I was entirely impressed (especially by the fact that they all have perfect rhythm!). Mr Dover, the choir director, asked me if I might want to play guitar for some of their performances come Christmas so I may be accompanying them at some point!





I'll also include in this post the kindergarten, not because they were especially impressive, but they were just so darn cute. Fifth and Sixth graders here are just as they are in the states, ooh-ing and ah-ing over the smallness and endearing nature of five year olds.






And while I'm posting things based on cute, check out how adorable the preschoolers were in their Vincy outfits! I have not idea what they were supposed to be singing, but I don't think that matters when kids are small enough for it to be cute that their pampers are sticking out 4 inches above their pants.





Sixth grade did a really nice job with their performance. They even had a little choreography (which they appeared to think was pretty funny as they covered their faces when they had to wiggle around a bit). Below is another of the sixth grade in which they were doing some sort of rap-type performance. I don't know what it was about exactly, but it sounded cool!








And what Caribbean celebration would be complete without a little steel drum? He also played the national anthem at the beginning of the ceremony, but I didn't get that on video.




Lastly, I'll leave you with a video of everyone singing together. It gives a good idea of both the kids and the building in which I work. On a typical day, that room houses grade 1, two grade 2 classes, and grade 3. Each grade is separated by the chalkboards that you can see here lining the walls. Grade 1 has class up on the stage. It's very noisy, but it certainly does convert nicely into an assembly space!




On a final note, you may have noticed that I'm typing...which means one of 2 things. I'm either using the Peace Corps computer or I've somehow gotten my hands on a working keyboard. I'm happy to report that it's the latter, which means I'll be making more frequent blog updates! Expect pictures at some point of my trip tomorrow!

I hope everyone is well at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment