Monday, April 18, 2011

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls! ~Ted Grant

I figured it was about time for me to do some sort of picture update so all you lucky people can see just what I'm up to now that I'm on St Kitts (aside from making long swims and being bitten by centipedes that I keep, for some odd reason, referring to in conversation as scorpions...).

I haven't taken pictures of my house yet, but I promise to include pictures of my apartment and the view from it (it's rather lovely) in my next post!

This is actually from St Vincent, but I realized no one had seen it! Before I left, I had to find a way to say goodbye to my ballet class. There seemed no better way than to have an awards ceremony for them! Each student received a certificate and four of them received special awards (trophies) for "Best Technique," "Most Improved," "Rising Star," and "Dedicated Dancer." I also loaded them up with candy and popsicles before sending them home to their parents. Naturally, I "accidentally" overbought both of these treats so I had some for myself as well...


This is a close-up of the certificate. I made 15 of them. It took about 6 hours and resulted in the death of a few sharpies.

Now, on to St Kitts!


This is the Sandy Point Primary School where I'm assisting with the utilization of the library. It was built in a few installments, and the result is a really lovely nearly enclosed structure that provides a great deal of security and a beautiful area for the kids to wander and play during break time. It also abuts the ocean which is often a concern given that erosion is a pretty big issue.



Voila! My library! Well, not mine. I've been very firm on the fact that I want this space to be entirely student/teacher run. I've been creating check in/out notebooks for each grade so they can easily monitor their own borrowing.

There are over 5000 books and they're already cataloged and organized, but I'm going to revamp the organizational system to make it a little more child friendly.




These are some of my library girls. They come in during lunch and don't want to leave. Ever. I do appreciate them, though. They're usually full of questions and want to help me clean (a chore, you all may know, that is not my favorite). We have a vacuum cleaner in the library, and all the children vie for the opportunity to vacuum the rug during the last 10 minutes of lunch when I kick the majority of the kids out to facilitate student cleaning time.




My camera is a popular obsession when it makes an appearance (rarely) during lunch time. The kids insisted that they be allowed to take my picture, and this was the result. I look pretty bedraggled because they had all been playing in my hair for the last half hour. I have decided to allow this once a month because they get such a kick out of it. They're also convinced that I do something special aside from washing it to make it grow so long.


This is how I feel after lunch has finished on especially busy library days. It can get overwhelming. There are days I'll have over 50 kids in the small space. I need an assistant.


Special Education School

In addition to working at the Sandy Point Primary School, I'm working in the Special Education School with the classroom of Autistic students. They range in age from 9-15, so it can be quite a challenge.

This is Khadel. He's nine. I'm going to be working with him more than the others because he simply needs more one on one time than the others and there is only one teacher, Miss Audaine, and one aide for the classroom of five boys. Coming from a program where there were more adults than children in the class, this is a novel experience.


And this is how we play!

My New Nephew!

Now, don't worry. Neither Rachael or Craig have done anything silly. My new nephew isn't even human. His name is Beau and he's the puppy of my friend Natalie (another PCV). He's basically my pride and joy and I would like nothing better than to steal him from her but she has made it very clear that she will be quite displeased if I do this.



Beau's first bath at just 4 weeks old! He wasn't much of a fan.

After the bath...all wrapped up in a towel. Isn't she such a good momma!



Beau's first ferry ride to Nevis. He rides the vans, takes the ferry, and would probably come to the movies too if he were allowed. I'm sure you'll all be getting frequent picture updates of his growth! Sigh...I'm in love...

FOOD!!

I made this pizza. You should all be incredibly jealous. If you ask me really nicely and help provide some of the ingredients I might be good enough to make you one sometime, too. But only if you ask really nicely.


That's all for now! I hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment